clock riddle

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 21:40:41 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-23 at 12:32 -0700, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 02:09:57PM -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Mon, 2009-02-23 at 09:47 -0700, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> > >
> > > Now knowing that various programs will be seriously affected by
> > > sudden changes in clock various, and ntpd is very careful when doing
> > > clock adjustments, would you think that the situation described in
> > > the previous paragraph is something which does not happen on Fedora
> > > or maybe it does?
> >
> > Are you reporting a bug?
>
> That is the next part of the riddle.  How long time ago this issue
> was reported?

Why don't you simply state what you're talking about instead of asking
riddles?

> > AFAIK changes to the system clock require the
> > root password, as do changes to the global timezone.
>
> I thought so too but this is not the case.  You are correct if you
> are trying to modify these values through
> 'System->Administration->Date&Time' but this is not the only way to
> do it and you need only your password for the first time and no
> password at all after that once you are on a desktop.

So this has something to do with Gnome. You didn't say that. The KDE
clock applet doesn't allow you to change the time (just the timezone)
and the Settings dialogue requires the root password. If the Gnome clock
applet does allow this without a root password then clearly it's broken
in Fedora. Could it be contamination from the Ubuntu model?

> > Has this changed in F11?
>
> No, this did not change in F11.  The problem goes way back.

In that case it might make more sense to discuss it on the Fedora list
and not here.

poc