Rawhide: USB disks if NTFS are not mounted

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Sun Feb 1 19:06:37 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 01, 2009 at 02:39:54PM +0100, Antonio M wrote:

> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> #
>
> tmpfs	/dev/shm	tmpfs	defaults	0	0
> devpts	/dev/pts	devpts	gid=5,mode=620	0	0
> sysfs	/sys	sysfs	defaults	0	0
> proc	/proc	proc	defaults	0	0
> /dev/dm-0	/	ext3	defaults	1	1
> /dev/sda1	/boot	ext3	defaults	1	2
> /dev/sdb1	/media/Philips_External_Hard_Disk	ntfs-3g	defaults,locale=it_IT.UTF-8	0	0
> /dev/dm-1	swap	swap	defaults	0	0

Here you say "mount /dev/sdb1 on a mount point
/media/Philips_External_Hard_Disk when file systems are mounted in a
startup sequence".  For a removable at least 'noauto' is missing
there.

> now when I insert an USB stick I can't mount it and my system says
> that it not possible to mount it as only root can mount /dev/sdb1 on
> /media/Philips_External_Hard_Disk

That is what you are saying above with "defaults".

> (taht is not connected)
> An additional USB is mounted as sdc1

Trying to "recycle" mount points below /media you are getting into a
food-fight with hal and gnome-mount.  Regardless of possible
outcomes this is surely unhealthy.  You should really look at what
'man gnome-mount' has to say (and that may include "SEE ALSO"
section).  At least some information is there.

If your goal is to pass automatically additional options to mount
then with nfts-3g you are in luck.  You can use for that a
/system/storage/default_options/ntfs-3g gconf key.

It looks like that your wounds are self-inflicted.

   Michal