Wiki suggestions

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Fri Feb 6 18:05:07 UTC 2009

Adam Williamson wrote, On 02/06/2009 09:33 AM:
> On Thu, 2009-02-05 at 18:51 -0500, Christopher Beland wrote:

<SNIP>
>> To be honest, I prefer the current copy of
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA to the Johannbg draft.  Splitting up
>> activities into "Quality Control", "Quality Assurance" and
>> "Development" does not seem helpful, especially since "Quality
>> Control" and "Quality Assurance" sound like synonyms to many people,
>> and the latter has no content in that draft.  And as far as I can
>> tell, "Development" (actually fixing bugs) is outside the scope of the
>> QA subproject.

<SNIP>
> And yes, I think you're right in that the difference between QC and QA
> is not something people arriving at this page should be expected to be
> comfortable with. I think Johann has a hold on a good principle here. I
> think the principle is, the 'QA' subproject does rather a lot of
> different things and we need to distinguish between them. But I think we
> can find a better way of expressing that.

<SNIP>
  From my training/experience Layman's summaries:
QA = plan (make policies & procedures) how to build the repeatably produce the
product with as few (to none of the) parts as possible failing QC, and take
feed back from QC to improve those plans.
QC = check the produced and in production line parts for defects, and do other
quality monitoring, including feed statistics back into the QA process.

So to me http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA is annoying because it is using the
definition of QC and calling it QA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality_assurance#Quality_assurance_versus_quality_control

and if I understood "Re: QA Certification?" Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 14:33:41
-0500, by Adam Williamson, and Leam Hall's reply to it,
then using the correct words with the correct definitions is the way you
should go.  Because getting the definitions reversed could cause significant
question missing on an exam.

--
Todd Denniston