Wiki suggestions

Christopher Beland beland at alum.mit.edu
Sat Feb 7 02:08:20 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 00:55 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> Do not edit the official wiki pages directly and if you did either on
> those you mentioned and potentially any others that you might have
> made some changes to please revert those changes asap.
>
> You might upset a lot of people of  if you altered any of the
> official wiki pages

Anyone who agrees to the contributor license can sign up for an account
automatically and start editing the wiki.  I did that, and I didn't see
any admonitions to discuss all changes before making them.  If new
people aren't supposed to jump right into editing, maybe they should
only have permission to edit the Discussion pages.

I would actually encourage the opposite culture - feel free to make
minor improvements as you see fit.  Supposedly Red Hat employees are
watching wiki changes and will revert anything that is inappropriate.
That's the genius of a wiki - anyone who sees a problem can fix it
immediately.  I think the existing wiki pages are suffering more from
neglect than misguided editing, which is why I started cleaning them up.
When people are afraid to update a wiki, I think that's bound to kill or
at least handicap it.  That said, I do agree with the process we're
following here, where major changes to high-visibility pages are
discussed first.

> Do you guys think we should have an IRC meeting during which we could
> actually work up drafts for a new set of main wiki pages - or, to keep
> it simple, just the main and joining pages - to submit back to the list?
> I'd definitely like me, Chris, Leam and Johann to all be there, and then
> it'd be awesome for anyone else who has ideas or wants to be involved to
> join in.

I'm happy to work asynchronously; it would actually probably be faster
to simply implement ideas and see how people like them rather than
describing them in a meeting.

It sounds like you would like to take [[User:Johannbg/Draft/QA]] as a
starting point.  I can work with that.  Should we edit that in place, or
should we make a copy to e.g. [[QA/Draft]]?

-B.