can i download the F11 alpha "dev" spins without torrent?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Feb 8 02:35:58 UTC 2009

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>  fair enough, but i still want to clarify what a "dev" spin is before
> i download it -- is it a spin targeted at developers, just chock full
> of dev goodies?

Developer goodies for GNOME and Java only, unfortunately. :-(

Here's what's on it:
http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=spin-kickstarts.git;a=blob;f=fedora-livedvd-developer.ks;h=d1c150ed20c6a9ecf6f82b1e0d90d3fd76653a38;hb=HEAD
(Note that the @group notation only pulls in the mandatory and default
packages of the group, not the optional ones. For example, cmake is
optional in development-tools, so it is NOT dragged in by the
@development-tools line.)

Notably missing is any support for KDE development: no KDE or Qt -devel
packages, no KDevelop, not even CMake (unless something listed drags it in
as a dependency, it's definitely not listed explicitly).

Support for scripting languages is also practically nonexistent. (You get
basic installations (with very limited selections of modules) of Python and
Perl because they're dragged in by other stuff, but judging from the
kickstart, that's about it.)

So I'm afraid I have strong reservations about the usefulness of that spin.

        Kevin Kofler