wanted: audacity user testing of pulseaudio capabilities

Tom London selinux at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 23:01:36 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 1:25 PM, David Timms <dtimms at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Tom London wrote:
>>
>> Not sure this is what you're asking for, but I run audacity "all the
>> time" on my rawhide system to edit music clips.
>>
>> Starting with the last rawhide release, audacity-1.3.5-0.12.beta, I
>> noticed that I could configure it to use "pulse" settings.
>>
>> I have used (tested?) this while pulse/rhythmbox are running,
>> sometimes with rhythmbox paused, sometimes with the audacity output
>> mixed with rhythmbox's output. I have not noticed any pulse/sound
>> related problems.
>
> So rawhide is OK ?
> Playback as well as record ?
> - multitrack ?
> - multitrack record while playing ?
> - previews of effects ?
>
> Basically: Do the things you would normally do with audacity, but with pulse
> as the digital in and out set. Can you notice any difference at all between
> when other IO methods are selected ?
>
> ie are there any regressions ?
>
> what about when you use the non-pulse IO, do any issues show up ?
>
>> Are you interested in only F10?
>
> I was trying to decide whether to put this update into F10, and possibly F9.
> Since it is a large app, I would rather not break a lot of people's audio
> record/editing on the stable release.
>
> DaveT.

My use has been mostly importing previously recorded clips and playback.

With both input and output set to pulse, all is good.

I've done a few silly tests using the laptop's microphone as input,
and it appears to function.

I changed the playback settings from pulse to alsa: Intel HW, to
/dev/dsp, and got sound every time while input was set to /dev/dsp.

If input is set to pulse, I only get playback to work if set to pulse.
 The "alsa Intel" setting is for "hw: 0,1".  That doesn't work.

If I set input to "pulse", I get another choice: alsa: intel hw:0,0.
That one works.

tom
--
Tom London