Announcing Fedora 11 Alpha (blink)

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 14:35:03 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 23:16 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
>  > Yes, as one fellow said on Fedora forums (about the removal of root
> > login in GDM) "Do I hear the sound of training wheels being welded
> into
> > place?
>
> Oh, so it wasn't me being senile.
>
> So one can install a system with only a root account, and then can't
> logon. Absolutely brrriliant!!. And absolutely pointless when root can
> login at a console!

The normal install process asks you to create a non-root user. And
people who know what they're talking about strongly recommend not
running a full desktop as root. Logging into a console as root is a
significantly different situation.

Plus of course you can still do it if you want. In fact kdm doesn't stop
you, just gdm.

Have you actually read the discussion about this (I mean on this list,
not upsteam)?

poc