Announcing Fedora 11 Alpha (blink)

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 15:51:18 UTC 2009

> Adam Jackson wrote:
>

> > If someone can come up with a scenario where you really need zap, and
> > not just vt switch and/or logout dialog, I'm eager to hear it.  If you
> > can come up with one that isn't "some broken application took a server
> > grab and won't give it back", I'll even be interested.
>
> Well since you asked, I use it simply as a faster way to logout. If my
> system is already maxed out, waiting for a confirmation dialog to pop
> out is frustrating at times.

Same here, except I sometimes have a nagging worry about whether
everything is going to be properly cleaned up. I mean, is it actually
specified somewhere that Ctrl-Alt-Bspace is *exactly* the same as doing
a desktop logout?

Also, I've had situations where even Ctrl-Alt-Bspace doesn't work.
Either X is frozen or the machine is so slow it isn't responding (it can
be hard to tell which). Happened to me yesterday in fact when I tried
the desktop switcher in KDE 4.2. Of course the standard logout isn't
going to work either in this case, but it's frustrating that this still
happens even after a gazillion years of X development.

poc