Announcing Fedora 11 Alpha (blink)

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Feb 10 14:45:08 UTC 2009

John Summerfield wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> John Summerfield wrote:
>>>
>>> Finally, when all is said and done, security is _my_ problem.
>>
>> Depends. People usually crack a system and then use it as a gateway to
>> crack other systems. Then it becomes more of a global issue.
>
> I neglected to mention, I've seen some cracked Linux system. The
> presence of X or equivalent (were it present) was completely irrelevant.

In general, it is a good security principle to only install what is
necessary but I was replying to your point about GDM disabling root
access by default.  It does make a pretty big difference if your system
is running as root all the time or if you are using your system with
elevated privileges when not necessary.

http://www.bress.net/blog/archives/133-Security-Week-in-Review-2009-02-01.html

Rahul