Announcing Fedora 11 Alpha (blink)

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 11 00:51:18 UTC 2009

--- On Tue, 2/10/09, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:

> From: Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com>
> Subject: Re: Announcing Fedora 11 Alpha (blink)
> To: fedora-test-list at redhat.com
> Date: Tuesday, February 10, 2009, 3:33 PM
> On Wed, 2009-02-11 at 08:26 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
> >  It wouldn't set a precedent for RH to patch
> something.
>
> The precedent since the inception of Fedora has been to
> follow upstream,
> unless there is a really good reason for it.
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/WhyUpstream
>
> --
> Jesse Keating
> Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!
> identi.ca: http://identi.ca/jkeating
> --

In following with this thread and others, I have to disagree with the above statement.

Why?  I see that in upstream the version of ImageMagick is :

ftp://ftp.imagemagick.org/pub/ImageMagick/ImageMagick-6.4.9-2.tar.bz2

while in Fedora rawhide the version is :

[olivares at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.29-0.99.rc4.git1.fc11.i586
[olivares at localhost ~]$ rpm -qa ImageMagick*
ImageMagick-6.4.5.5-8.fc11.i386
ImageMagick-c++-6.4.5.5-8.fc11.i386

texlive is still at 2007:
[olivares at localhost ~]$ rpm -qa texlive*
texlive-xdvi-2007-0.12.fc8.i386
texlive-texmf-latex-2007-26.fc10.noarch
texlive-texmf-fonts-2007-26.fc10.noarch
texlive-utils-2007-39.fc11.i386
texlive-2007-39.fc11.i386
texlive-latex-2007-39.fc11.i386
texlive-texmf-errata-dvips-2007-5.fc11.noarch
texlive-texmf-2007-26.fc10.noarch
texlive-texmf-dvips-2007-26.fc10.noarch
texlive-dvips-2007-39.fc11.i386
texlive-texmf-errata-common-2007-0.9.fc8.noarch
texlive-texmf-common-2007-0.12.fc8.noarch
texlive-texmf-errata-latex-2007-5.fc11.noarch
texlive-texmf-errata-2007-5.fc11.noarch
texlive-texmf-errata-fonts-2007-5.fc11.noarch

while the latest version is 2008.  This is not very much true for all packages in Fedora, but though most of the time, Fedora does try to be as close to the releases, but these are exceptions not the rule :)

xine-lib was recently updated, in a day or two problably not more, we will see updates here on rawhide, on fedora 10 and fedora 9 for it:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/xine/xine-lib-1.1.16.2.tar.bz2

This is a very strong point for Fedora.

WRT to the CTRL + ALT + BACKSPACE to kill X/restart the X server, I hope that they bring it back at least for many users.  We will appreciate that Fedora developers care to put it back.

Regards,

Antonio