Announcing Fedora 11 Alpha (blink)

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Feb 11 12:13:08 UTC 2009

Christopher Beland wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-02-11 at 07:31 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
>> Killing the desktop doesn't also take out the mail server, the files
>> server(s), the print server, the internet gateway, the database server,
>> DNS, and it also doesn't take anything like as long to restart stuff.
>>
>> I would much rather kill the desktop than the entire system.
>
> Of course!  But does that mean that when it's "only" the desktop that
> gets wiped out, you'll say, "Oh, well, at least it didn't take down the
> whole system; no need to report that bug"?

Whether I report depends not at all on the consequences or severity of
the bug. There is one example I mentioned here of a KVM guest hanging,
which I did not report because that was the extent of the information.

Likewise, I just attempted to install C5 in a KVM guest. This is on the
system I mentioned this morning as not having updated its onscreen clock
since 22:22:17 - a period of ten hours or so.

I can report the host has sprung to life again, the Debian guest (the
one that used to hang) is still running. The load average was a mere 50,
with oodles of free RAM. The problem is the install died immediately
after installing bash, so the entire effort is a dead loss, the only way
forward is to start again. Oh, the VM had shut down and the virt*
software had detached and forgotten about the ISO image (I thought that
problem was fixed). I won't be reporting that one either, as there is
little for the programmer I used to be to work on.

"It doesn't work."
"What doesn't work?"
"I don't know."

--