Rawhide: kernel & Yumex

M A Young m.a.young at durham.ac.uk
Mon Feb 16 17:18:57 UTC 2009

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009, seth vidal wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 14:19 +0000, M A Young wrote:

>>> Or yum during updates?
>>
>> It would certainly be nice if yum handled this change sensibly, but I
>> don't think there is a requirement for it to work, because the only
>> supported means of upgrading from Fedora version to Fedora version is via
>> the anaconda installation process. Changes within alphas and betas are
>> only relevant if they reflect problems that will occur in supported
>> upgrades between full Fedora versions.
>> However if yum can't handle the update, then the issue should certainly be
>> mentioned in the release notes (the kernel change should probably be
>> mentioned anyway).
>
> explain "yum can't handle the update". It sure looks like yum is
> handling the update. Or do you mean the detection of PAE vs non PAE?

This thread started because someone had a kernel.i686 package which wasn't
being updated because new kernels were either kernel.i586 or
kernel-PAE.i686 so yum clearly wasn't handling the kernel changes. If this
is still the case when Fedora 11 is released then there should be
something in the release notes explaining the changes, so that anyone
trying to use yum to upgrade directly between Fedora versions (something
that isn't supported but has more or less worked in the past) knows
what the problem is and can fix it.

 	Michael Young