Rawhide: kernel & Yumex

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Mon Feb 16 18:53:54 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 10:22:46AM -0600, Jerry Amundson wrote:

> However, mine has less than 4GB ram, so even is yum is making this
> decision, mine would not be a good candidate anyway...

Apart of "Physical Address Extension" PAE kernels have supposedly a
better mechanism for handling page tables.  I really cannot tell if
these differences are measurable but recently on lkml somebody
suggested that if your processer is PAE capable then you should be
running PAE kernel regardless of how much of memory you have on
board; especially if you do not have an overhead from "above 4Gig".
Add to that possible gains from i686 over i586.

All of the above for me is "anecdotal".

   Michal