f11 alpha no grub.conf

David L idht4n at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 15:39:17 UTC 2009

When I install a test release, I usually install no boot loader.
I install the test release onto an alternate partition and add
an entry for the test release to the existing grub.conf on my
primary partition.  If/when I need to update the kernel on the
test partition, I boot the to the test partition and grub-install
onto that partition and then modify my primary grub.conf to
chain load the test release.  When I tried this procedure on
f11 alpha to prepare for the 20 second boot time testing,
grub-install didn't create a grub.conf.  I'm almost sure that
grub-install used to create grub.conf on earlier releases.
Is this a bug, an intentional change, or am I just losing my
mind?

Thanks,

               David

PS - If your wondering why I don't install a boot loader in
the first place, it's because a test release once killed my
primary boot loader.  Once bitten twice shy.