Rawhide: kernel & Yumex

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Tue Feb 17 18:46:37 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 13:30 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> i686->i586 is being handled just fine. People are complaining b/c yum is
> not seamlessly handling i686 -> kernel-PAE.
>
> I agree with it is simplest to do it manually if the user thinks they
> need the PAE kernel - which is what I said before. So I think we're on
> the same page and I think what we have right now works.
>
> I'll do a quick test in a kvm to be sure I'm not making stuff up :)

tested it on a kvm.

yum update brings in the kernel.i586 just fine

yum install kernel also brings it in.

not entirely surprisingly but a little confusingly:

  yum update kernel does not do it - I think I know why and the only
nice way to fix it is to special-case the kernel.

but in most cases it won't matter on an update.

-sv