RawhideBlocker [was Re: QA group activities + goals discussion]

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Feb 20 20:51:19 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-20 at 14:43 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> > We're not really talking about 'normal users' running Rawhide, anyway.
> > We're talking about people who are interested in helping improve release
> > quality and testing bleeding-edge code, who can at least work a text
> > editor from a console, and have the flexibility to understand that
> > Rawhide stuff *will* break occasionally and they'll have to work around
> > it.
>
> I think people need to be able to significantly more than use a text
> editor. You need to be able to rescue your system when booting fails.
> I think you pretty much need to be an amateur sysadm.

No, you don't. It's a test system. You blow it away and re-install, if
you don't know how to fix it.

Usually, also, if the problem is one that affects more than a few
people, someone will post a note about what's wrong and how to fix it to
the discussion list. Or, they would, if enough people ran Rawhide. :)

I'm basing this on experience. Lots of people run Mandriva's development
branch. Some of them, frankly, I wouldn't have trusted to edit a text
file *at all*. But they seemed to manage to get along. They didn't go
away and stop asking dumb questions, anyway. =)

> I think going for the vast majority of Packagers might be overly optimistic.
> Besides needing sysadm skills, you also need good bandwith.

That's a fair point, yeah. But still, I don't think most packagers with
decent bandwidth run Rawhide.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey