clock riddle

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Mon Feb 23 19:32:19 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 02:09:57PM -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-02-23 at 09:47 -0700, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> >
> > Now knowing that various programs will be seriously affected by
> > sudden changes in clock various, and ntpd is very careful when doing
> > clock adjustments, would you think that the situation described in
> > the previous paragraph is something which does not happen on Fedora
> > or maybe it does?
>
> Are you reporting a bug?

That is the next part of the riddle.  How long time ago this issue
was reported?

> AFAIK changes to the system clock require the
> root password, as do changes to the global timezone.

I thought so too but this is not the case.  You are correct if you
are trying to modify these values through
'System->Administration->Date&Time' but this is not the only way to
do it and you need only your password for the first time and no
password at all after that once you are on a desktop.

> Has this changed in F11?

No, this did not change in F11.  The problem goes way back.

   Michal