Reminder: Bug Triage Meeting Tomorrow (Tuesday) @ 15:00 UTC

Brennan Ashton bashton at brennanashton.com
Tue Feb 24 04:01:36 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 7:49 PM, Christopher Beland <beland at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/Goals
>
> looks a bit crufty.
>
> Unless goals have already been set somewhere else, there are several
> worthy goals I can think of, depending on what the priorities are and
> how many people-hours are available each week.  There doesn't need to be
> a specific deadline, but on Wikipedia when dealing with these
> housekeeping queues we often just say "we're focusing effort on X" and
> then cheer when we finish that part of the job.
>
> People having the worst problems:
>
> * Zero out the number of NEW bugs from Fedora version 1-8 (handful)
> * Triage all NEW bugs that are Severity=urgent (104)
> * Triage all NEW bugs that are Severity=high (605)
>

> Cleaning up the "easy" bugs (likely to have been looked at already by
> the developer) from the end of the queue (by date):
>
> * Triage all NEW bugs from 2004, 2005, and 2006 (<50)
> * Triage all NEW bugs from 2007 (about 400 + 300 merge review)
> * Etc.
> * Eventually all bugs should be looked at within no more than _ days,
>  so the system feels responsive and easy problems can be solved in a
>  reasonable period.
>

> Catching bugs as they come in:
>
> * Triage all the bugs filed within the past 30 days, so that the
>  triage queue never grows.  (~2000/month)
> * Rely on EOL process to deal with bugs at the end of the queue, so
>  eventually we will completely catch up.
>

> By the way, There are about 300 bugs from 2007-01-31 with "Merge
> Review" in the summary, filed against the component "Package Review".
> I would expect:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/Special_Procedures
>
> to tell triagers what to do about these bugs, but there's no mention.
>

> Another thing that could be done is that if there are specific
> developers that are feeling overwhelmed with bugs, they could request
> that triagers clean out their components in a focused effort.
>
> -B.

This is all very helpful feedback, right now what we are working on is
narrowing down our goals, to start chipping away the bug count down to
a manageable amount.  I would like to point out however that Merge
Reviews and Review Requests do not really fall under our group.  They
are part of packaging.

--
Brennan Ashton