Reminder: Bug Triage Meeting Tomorrow (Tuesday) @ 15:00 UTC

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Tue Feb 24 09:54:19 UTC 2009

On 2009-02-24, 03:49 GMT, Christopher Beland wrote:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/Goals
>
> looks a bit crufty.
>
> Unless goals have already been set somewhere else, there are several
> worthy goals I can think of, depending on what the priorities are and
> how many people-hours are available each week.  There doesn't need to be
> a specific deadline, but on Wikipedia when dealing with these
> housekeeping queues we often just say "we're focusing effort on X" and
> then cheer when we finish that part of the job.

You are very right, except ... let me add some comments.

> * Zero out the number of NEW bugs from Fedora version 1-8
> (handful)

Not sure I understand this? All bugs from Fedora <= 8 should be
close this time, shouldn't they?

> * Triage all NEW bugs that are Severity=urgent (104)
> * Triage all NEW bugs that are Severity=high (605)

Given that Severity and Priority fields are changeable by
reporters they are almost useless and they are never used by
developers. I am trying a quixotic attempt to fix them xorg bugs,
but I am not sure whether it is good for anything.

> * Eventually all bugs should be looked at within no more than
>   days,
>   so the system feels responsive and easy problems can be solved in a
>   reasonable period.

We tried this before and the general conclusion is that this is
a quite good way how to loose volunteers, because the effort is
so boring, that no-one is able to sustain it (unless he is paid
for it, like me ;-)). Current wisdom is that it is much better to
assign yourself to some pack of components, get in touch with
their developers/maintainers and help them to clean their stuff.
There are still available slots (compare
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/components and
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/ActiveTriagers)!

> By the way, There are about 300 bugs from 2007-01-31 with
> "Merge Review" in the summary, filed against the component
> "Package Review". I would expect:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/Special_Procedures
>
> to tell triagers what to do about these bugs, but there's no mention.

Because it requires quite special ways -- take a look at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_Review_Process. If you
want to volunteer on cleaning up Package Reviews (of which Merge
Reviews are subset) you are absolutely more than welcome, but it
is slightly different kind of job -- not that much more
difficult, but you have to study different things than for the
regular bug zapping.

So, yes our BugZappers/ wiki is kind of messy at the moment (and
it is wiki, so if you want to fix it, go ahead), but there
actually is some system in our madness.

Best,

Matěj Cepl