F11: X starts at wrong resolution

sean darcy seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 00:10:23 UTC 2009

Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-02-23 at 18:32 -0500, sean darcy wrote:
>> Just installed i386 F11 from alpha .iso on hp laptop, then did yum upgrade.
>>
>> Each time X starts at 800x600. xrandr shows the preferred resolution as
>> 1280x800.
>>
>> I use xrandr to change to preferred, but how can I set X to start at
>> 1280 x 800? does this require a modeline after all these years?
>
> I'm not a mind reader, so I don't know what your X log contains or what
> xrandr reports.  But I suspect it's detecting a TV connected that isn't
> really there.  And since the default placement policy is clone (because
> we suck), we'll try to set things up so all outputs have the same mode.
>
> If you want to disable an output at configure time, see the dualhead
> setup instructions here:
>
> http://intellinuxgraphics.org/dualhead.html
>
> Particularly the bit about Option "Ignore".
>
> If you'd set the resolution with gnome-display-properties this would get
> remembered for you when you log in.  gdm would still be wrong though.
>
> - ajax

No xorg.conf, but yes X log finds a TV out:

(II) intel(0): EDID for output TV1
(II) intel(0): Output VGA1 disconnected
(II) intel(0): Output LVDS1 connected
(II) intel(0): Output DVI1 disconnected
(II) intel(0): Output DVI2 connected
(II) intel(0): Output TV1 disconnected
(II) intel(0): Using fuzzy aspect match for initial modes
(II) intel(0): Output LVDS1 using initial mode 1024x768
(II) intel(0): Output DVI2 using initial mode 1024x768

not clear why it settled on 800x600, but...

I used gnome-display-properties as you suggested. That worked. Thanks.

This new laptop, an hp g50, has an intel gm45 chipset:

(II) intel(0): Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) Mobile Intel® GM45
Express
Chipset
(--) intel(0): Chipset: "Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset"

with an hdmi port. Using the F11 series intel drivers ( now
xorg-x11-drv-i810-2.6.0-6.fc11.i586 ) is it possible to actually use the
hdmi port to drive an 1080p or 1080i projector?

I remember posts that hdmi for the intel driver was a Work In Progress.
Still? Any ETA?

sean