IRQ Conflict

Curtis George rhlinux123 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 4 01:04:24 UTC 2009

I recently upgraded from Fedora 9 to Fedora 10, and I am having an IRQ conflict that I can't resolve.  It seems that my Ethernet NIC, RAID Controller, and onboard USB are all sharing the same IRQ.  I receive a bunch of "kernel:Disabling IRQ #16" messages (the IRQ that is being shared) and occasionally get locked up.  When I initially installed Fedora 9 I got this message as well, but found a tip that said to unplug all USB devices before installing, and this worked like a charm.  I tried to do the same thing with Fedora 10 but I still have the problem no matter what.  I did an extensive search (there are more questions then answers for this problem) and tried running with the acpi=off and irqpoll kernel options, but none of these help.

I'm guessing that when I installed Fedora 9 with all the USB unplugged that is chose differet IRQs so there was no confilict (I'm not sure though).  I can't manually set the IRQ on any of these devices, it seems to be up to the OS to choose.  Any ideas on what is causing this or how to fix it?

- Curtis George