Where has the F10 DVD iso file gone?

Brennan Ashton bashton at brennanashton.com
Thu Jan 1 17:56:47 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 11:26 AM, Christopher A. Williams
<chriswfedora at cawllc.com> wrote:
> Well - I wish the news was as good as I had hoped...
>
> Revisor did indeed spit out a DVD ISO for me. It even booted and ran an
> install in my VM. Unfortunately, what it installed turned out to be
> almost completely unusable. I also managed to build a custom 32-bit Live

Welcome to the life of Fedora QA

> CD. Unfortunately it was no more usable than the DVD. I think I'm close
> though. Next step is to try this using the base F10 kickstart files (now
> that I have found a couple of them).
>
> Side Question: Where is the official place the F10 kickstart files are
> supposed to be kept? This should be something relatively easy to get to,
> shouldn't it?
yum whatprovides *-fedora.ks
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
pungi-2.0.8-1.fc10.noarch : Distribution compose tool
Repo        : fedora
Matched from:
Filename    : /usr/share/pungi/rawhide-fedora.ks
Filename    : /usr/share/pungi/f9-fedora.ks

spin-kickstarts-0.10.3-1.fc10.noarch : Kickstart files and templates for
                                                     : creating your
own Fedora Spins
Repo        : fedora
Matched from:
Filename    : /usr/share/spin-kickstarts/fedora-install-fedora.ks

generic-release-9.91-2.noarch : Generic release files
Repo        : fedora
Matched from:
Filename    : /usr/share/generic-release/rawhide-fedora.ks

spin-kickstarts-0.10.3-3.fc10.noarch : Kickstart files and templates for
                                                     : creating your
own Fedora Spins
Repo        : updates
Matched from:
Filename    : /usr/share/spin-kickstarts/fedora-install-fedora.ks

generic-release-10-1.noarch : Generic release files
Repo        : updates
Matched from:
Filename    : /usr/share/generic-release/rawhide-fedora.ks

> I have found a few other things about Revisor that should be highlighted
> brightly because I've seen the same problems with several other tools
> like Yum Extender.
>
> It seems the reason why I can't build 64-bit Live images at all is
> because something in the package selection process / tools arbitrarily
> includes BOTH the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of everything you select in
> the package manifest instead of including just the 64-bit packages if
> they exist. This leads to the conflicts that cause the whole thing to
> fail. I think the reason it doesn't happen with 64-bit DVDs is because
> the selected package RPMs are only added to a specific directory on the
> DVD. Live images actually do a system installation as a part of the
> build process.
Mock will make your life a lot easier

> I've also seen this package selection behavior in Yum Extender
> (including the current version in F10). At least with Yum Extender, you
> can manually de-select all of the non-64-bit packages by hand. It's
> incredibly tedious to do, but it works. This also happened in versions
> of the package selection tool fka Add Or Remove Programs in F8 and
> earlier. Moreover, it also happens with kickstart files created via
> system-config-kickstart. I don't know if Package Kit has this problem or
> not yet.
>
> Of note, this does NOT happen when trying to build 32-bit systems. The
> 64-bit packages are (correctly) ignored. It is only when trying to add
> package groups to 64-bit systems that the 32-bit packages are also
> selected. Since this is something common to several tools, I suspect the
> problem is either in something under the covers they all use or it is in
> code that they all share.
>
> As to other issues with Revisor, what I'm finding is that a lot of stuff
> in the GUI either just doesn't work at all or is just plain broken. It
> clearly looks like a work in progress - with a lot of work left to be
> done. What I can tell you so far is:
>
> 1) Read the doc that does exist. It at least will give you a clue about
> how Revisor was intended to work, even if it doesn't exactly work that
> way because so much is broken or has been changed since the doc was
> written.
I gave up of Revisor for straight ks builds

> 2) Develop as good an understanding of what the build process involves
> as a part of this so you know what the tools are trying to do along the
> way. Believe it or not, the doc on Pungi - sparse as it is - was
> extremely helpful to me in understanding more about Revisor.

Mock + pungi

> 3) Watch Revisor (and the other tools) closely. Every little error
> message will give you clues about things that you might be able to fix
> or find work-arounds for in this trial and error process.
>
> Now - back to my original point: I still believe Revisor (along with the
> others) has terrific potential. It seems to be about 80% of the way
> there in terms of functionality and also needs some major bug fixing. If
> I were a coder, I would gladly help with fixing that stuff, but I'm not.
> As an Enterprise Infrastructure Architect, I can only help with this
> kind of testing and feedback unless you need help with designing the
> underlying server and network infrastructure needed to support the
> development platforms...
>
> If these fixes can be implemented, we then have a reliable tool for
> creating custom spins. With that, we have the ability to begin
> automating the technical process for generating monthly ISO updates from
> the "gold" kickstart files. All that is then left is to examine and
> optimize the process for QA and release such that people who are already
> very busy don't have to take on more. I submit that, since the updated
> RPMs already have to go through a testing process, what actually needs
> to be tested for such an interim respin should be much smaller than a
> full release.
>
> If people put their collective brains to this, it should be solvable.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris
>
> --
> By all means marry;
> If you get a good wife, you'll be happy.
> If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher.
>
> --Socrates

This is by far the best documentation on doing this type of stuff out
there right now from what I have read.
http://jons-thoughts.blogspot.com/2008/05/pungi-and-mock-for-fun-and-profit.html
You can find me on fedora-qa or -devel irc user comphappy

--Brennan Ashton