Where has the F10 DVD iso file gone?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Jan 1 19:30:24 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-01 at 12:13 -0700, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> Building a 64-bit system was NOT successful - for the same reasons I
> brought up before about 32-bit packages being arbitrarily included with
> their 64-bit counterparts. Whatever is happening here has to be with
> code that is likely shared between Revisor, Yum Extender, and a few
> other tools. If we can get this part fixed, we will have made major
> strides forward.

It's not arbitrary, it's multilib.  When composing an install tree, you
need to bring in every multilib possibility offered by the repos, and
later at install time the proper ones will be installed as needed.

EG: at compose time if you have foo-devel in your packages set, we'll
gather up foo-devel.x86_64 and if it's available, also gather up
foo-devel.i386.  Not every x86_64 package in the x86_64 upstream repos
has a matching i386 package, the decisions on this are done by software
called "mash" which is the tool we use to create repos from koji tags.
Once you've done your compose, and somebody goes to install from it,
they could have something in their packages explicit like
foo-devel.i386, which means that the foo-devel.i386 in your compose will
be installed to that person's system.  Or they may use a different
multilib installing algorithm, one that forces all multilib to be
installed rather than relying on the current Fedora default of "best
match" that is typically don't install any multilib.

The hardest thing for people to reconcile is that the depsolving and
package selecting used during a compose is different from that used
during install.  During install, tools find the "best" match for thing
requested, but during compose the tools find all possible matches for
requests.  This is so that the "best" decision is made at install time,
based on the requests of the user doing the install, rather than
pre-selected at compose time by the person doing the compose (where
essentially every package is selected, instead of a set few).

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!