missing dependency python(abi) = 2.5 for package: ...

glenn gsimpson at mountaincable.net
Sat Jan 3 17:44:25 UTC 2009

Fulko Hew wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 6:11 PM, Greg <spowd at bigpond.com> wrote:
>
>>On 3/01/2009 9:54 AM, Fulko Hew wrote:
>>
>>>I decided to enable rawhide on my test F10 system, and do a
>>>yum update.
>>>
>>>I get a lot of dependency failures like:
>>>
>>>setroubleshoot-2.0.12-3.fc10.noarch from installed has depsolving problems
>>>  -->  Missing Dependency: python(abi) = 2.5 is needed by package
>>>setroubleshoot-2.0.12-3.fc10.noarch (installed)
>>>
>>>Any suggestions?
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>Fulko
>>>

>>why did you enable rawhide? this isnt a support channel. use the irc channel
>>or fedoraforum
>

> Sorry.  I thought fedora-test was for testing rawhide?  ;-(

As you know, Rawhide is the development of the next release.

I think that Greg made some wrong assumptions.  He assumed you wanted to
work on F10.  He didn't think abt how you start to experience F11
development because he may not be into F11 development himself.
==
At the last time, I had over 300 pkgs waiting for solving dependency
issues.  I am not in production evironment as you know, so I am waiting
for Fedora mgmt to focus on some of these issues.

For the last few weeks, John has been involved in virtual activity.  He
is been trying quite a number of distro for operation under virtual box.
  He feels there has been great progress on that front.  I may get
around to that activity later this month.  I played with virtual abt a
year ago but lost interest be it didn't at that time have the features I
was hoping for.

John tells me the virtual box has made great strides.  I think he is
using Sun's virtual box, and is having success with quite a number of
guests.  He had a couple of questions abt F9, and I told him that I
would repeat his steps, but on a dedicated host, and use the latest
updates for F9.  I reported that worked without a hitch.

I think John is compounding his issues.  John is basically a 'hardware
man'.  He gets the opportunity with work with new hardware, which then
often winds up as upgrades to his customers.  As you know, Linux is
developed by volunteer and it is usually safer to be on hardware that
has been out for a little while, and has other volunteers working the
Linux bugs out.  John is an AMD man, and I know the latest motherboard
he is working with has a recently released video card.  When he hits
some issues, I think it is due to hardware that may still be a challenge
for Linux.
==
Different topic.

Recently, I decided that I needed to increase the storage on Mary's
machine.  It had an 80 GB drive.  As drives are cheap now, I thought I
would just add a 320 or 500 GB drive.  Either is less than $100 these days.

Well I went to Tiger Dirct and they were sold out of 500 GB Seagate
drives on that day, but they did have 320 GB Western Digital SATA, so I
purchased that ($64 + tax).

I plugged it in and while the BIOS knew it was there XP didn't :-(

I eventually went to my support expert John.  I had to learn how to do
things on an XP system.  It turns out I had to use the option to assign
the drive a letter ('E' in my case), and create a partition (I assigned
the whole 320 GB to a single partition).  Then I had it create an NTFS
file system.  That took a couple of hours.

All went to prove how far I am out of date with MS systems.  But John
and I work back and forth.  He calls me abt Linux and it turns out I had
to call him abt MS :-(

--
Glenn Simpson VE3DSP
Hamilton, Ont