missing dependency python(abi) = 2.5 for package: ...

glenn gsimpson at mountaincable.net
Sat Jan 3 18:01:02 UTC 2009

Fulko Hew wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 6:40 PM, Greg <spowd at bigpond.com> wrote:

>>>Sorry.  I thought fedora-test was for testing rawhide?  ;-(
>>>

>>it is but your not giving much details of what you are actually testing?. by
>>the looks of it you have fc10 rpms
>

> I thought I'd be testing F11 (as updated from F10 via rawhide.
>

>>from what i understand you were using fedora10 an installed Fedora11 from
>>enabling rawhide. correct method for testing Fedora11 is downloading the
>>boot.iso an installing fc11
>

> Oh!  I was led to believe from
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/Rawhide#To_update_to_rawhide_via_yum
>
> that I could move to Rawhide from F10
>

>>that way an testing it alongside fc10. you say
>>your getting a lot of deps but what exactly did you install from rawhide
>>repo?
>

> Technically, I didn't install anything from rawhide, I simply enabled the
> rawhide repo as per the URL above, and did 'yum update'.
>

>>if you can figure that one out im sure you'll fix it
>

> The trouble is that it is complaining about
> "Missing Dependency: python(abi) = 2.5"
> for a vast number of packages.  Yum updated the system
> to python 2.5.2 but that doesn't help me to understand what
> package??? "python(abi)" is?
> At first I thought it was an unusually named package, then I thought
> It was a version of python, but downgrading python didn't help either.
>
> It seems as thought the rawhide packages need python 2.5
> and I now have python 2.5.2 installed???
>
> So I'm at a loss to understand exactly what's missing/wrong.
>
> (My ultimate goal was to find out if KDE 4.2 was packaged for testing
> yet, and if so, did it now contain fixes for the missing functionality,
> that KDE 3.5 has, that I need/want in 4.x.)

Just to add to your confusion :-(

I did your route.  I installed F10 distro.  I then changed the repo to
rawhide, then attempted to use yum update.  Initially I got a lot of
conflicts between F10 and F11, but I simply used 'yum erase xxxxx'
because I was at an early stage, and then tried 'yum update' again.
This I time succeeded, except for items like 'python abi=2.5'.

That is basically where I am these days, after a lot of running yum
updates on any given day.  It would take me time, much more than you
would have to spare, to do the following:
     yum list updates >yum.list
then with a window open on 'yum.list', I would use
     yum -y update x\*
where would be the first one or more letters of a subset of files I
wished to update.  That is a painful method and uses regular expressions
to make a quick selection list.

Ideally, I should have a script try each file, individually.  But that
would take hours and as it is, sometimes I spend to 2 or 3 hrs to work
through the list of updates and seldom get below 300 pkgs waiting for
dependencies.

In your case, you might wish to use koji.  I might remove the blocking
issues so you can get a look at the area you are interested.  Unlike me,
you are not a concerned the F11 development is 'pure rawhide'.

--
Glenn Simpson VE3DSP
Hamilton, Ont