IRQ Conflict

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Jan 4 12:03:14 UTC 2009

Mick M. wrote:

>> I'm guessing that when I installed Fedora 9 with all
>> the USB unplugged that is chose differet IRQs so there was
>> no confilict (I'm not sure though).  I can't
>> manually set the IRQ on any of these devices, it seems to be
>> up to the OS to choose.  Any ideas on what is causing this
>> or how to fix it?
>>
>> - Curtis George
>>

> Hi;
>   try moving cards around to different slots.
> Some motherboards assign irq's to specific slots.
> Then some cards only work with certain irq's.
>
> On bootup you may see what irq goes where.
> You may be able to play in the BIOS to help out.

PCI interrupts are supposed to be sharable. There are four interrupts,
INT#A through INT#D which can be mapped to ISA interrupts any way the
BIOS or OS likes.

If the PCI interrupts on your system are not sharable, then the system's
broken.

If your BIOS has asks about a PnP OS, change it and try that. Generally,
I say I have one, have said so since 2.4 kernels.

If that does not work, say "no" and try assigning some IRQs in the BIOS.

Shuffling cards might help, but most of my systems' PCI slots are empty.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait