IRQ Conflict

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Jan 5 05:32:35 UTC 2009

Curtis George wrote:
> Thanks for the info, I have discovered some interesting things recently.  I went ahead and reverted to Fedora 9 since I knew that one worked for me and found that the IRQ is being shared by the same 3 devices.  I then updated the kernel on Fedora 9 to 2.6.27 (which is also what Fedora 10 starts out with) and got the same IRQ disabled messages and sure enough my computer locked up within a few minutes of booting that kernel.  Luckily I still had the 2.6.25 kernel installed, so I booted into that one instead.
>
> Does this mean there is a possible problem with the 2.6.27 kernel?  What is the actual cause of this problem?
>
> If you do a google search on Linux IRQ Disabled you will find that this problem has existed in various forms without identifying the actual cause.  I should mention that I cannot move around my devices (they are either builtin or using the only compatible slot).  I also do not have a disable PnP OS option in BIOS.  I also saw a suggestion to change the SATA mode to AHCI in BIOS instead of IDE, but I don't have that option either (for me only RAID or non-RAID).  This worked from some, but I think in their case the ata device was involved in the interrupt that was being disabled.

Likely, if there's no more serious problem than the message folk don't
notice it and/or simply ignore it.

Do you have an option to change IRQ assignments in the BIOS?

I don't recall that you've mentioned anything about the hardware. There
are some pointers in my sig to "asking good questions."  Many problems
arise on a small set of hardware or in rare circumstances. You are our
eyes, and if you don't give us the information we're blind, and a lot of
people will ignore you.

--

Cheers
John