Fedora 10 on an HP EVO D510

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Mon Jan 5 06:57:03 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 02:26:38PM +0900, John Summerfield wrote:

> If a kernel upgrade changes the first NIC's configuration from "no IP"
> to "student LAN IP," I have to be on site to sort it out. That's what
> renaming interfaces can do.

Sigh!  We were talking about an installation and not kernel changes.
You clearly did not bother to look into
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules, for example.  Right?

Could you explain how a kernel update can change a network interface
name which happens to be tied up to a MAC address of that interface?
Or you have on hands network cards with identical MACs?  You likely
know that you can run into some grief with that no matter what.

Once name interface rules were recorded for the first time it take
some work to move those names around.  It is possible but for you
"too geek". Shrug!  One way or another it was like that for a long
time.

   Michal