F10 and Intel 82845/82945 graphics install and run

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 14:28:47 UTC 2009

Michal Jaegermann wrote:

> Use 'xdriver=vesa' in boot parameters or a text install.  Follow
> up with a workaround described in the referenced report.

OK I got a graphical install for a Dell Dimension which has 82945G graphics
by adding "xdriver=vesa nomodeset" to the kernel line for the install.
(I used a grub stansa to start the install from the vmlinuz and initrd.img
copied from the install iso. This allowed a hard drive install referenced to
the stored iso on the HD on a partition that would not be touched during
install.)

Once the install had completed I intercepted firstboot and added the same
kernel line parameter during boot to complete the install.  After that I
used the "intel" driver with option "NoAccel" in xorg.conf as previously
suggested by others - this gives the correct screen resolution but lousy
graphics performance when for example dragging a window around.

The alternative is to use the vesa driver which gives fuzzy screen display
but better graphics performance - so I prefer the slow screen and crisper
display!

I wonder when there will be a properly working intel driver?