Fedora 10 on an HP EVO D510

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Wed Jan 7 22:36:10 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 06:53:12AM +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
> Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> >
> >Could you explain how a kernel update can change a network interface
> >name which happens to be tied up to a MAC address of that interface?
> >Or you have on hands network cards with identical MACs?  You likely
> >know that you can run into some grief with that no matter what.
>
> Yesterday, after seeing this, I saw two other emails on two other lists,
> where people reported their network interfaces changed names.
>
> One on SLED, one on RHEL.

So which one of these two was the current Fedora?  None?  Oh...

I know that you can change an interface name.  It is not so easy
to do that if it is tied to a MAC of a interface.  Sometimes this
is actually a PITA when, for whatever reasons, you do want to change
these names and you have to fish out where this connection was
recorded.

If you will look closer then in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*
files there is HWADDR and it was automatically filled for quite a
while now although not from "always".  If those configuration files
are not used then /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules are
doing a similar thing.

OTOH 'man ifrename' and /etc/iftab were available when needed I do
not remember now for how long.  The only thing is that once a
network interface went up then it is too late for renaming.

    Michal