#fedora-bugzappers [Was: Re: CANCELED? Re: Reminder: Bug Triage Meeting Tomorrow (Tuesday) @ 15:00 UTC]

TK009 john.brown009 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 00:34:36 UTC 2009

Brennan Ashton wrote:
> 2009/1/7 "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at hi.is>:
>
>> Matej Cepl wrote:

>>> May I add one more item on the agenda of the next meeting?
>>>
>>> * create #fedora-bugzappers IRC channel on Freenode (Jabber MUC  would be
>>> an alternative, but I think Jabber is unfortunately  still less common among
>>> Fedora users, so let's stick with the  path of the least resistance), make
>>> it into the main IRC  communication channel for bug zappers, and redirect
>>> all bug  triagers there.
>>>
>>>  The reason for splitting of our communication from #fedora-qa  would be
>>> that discussion on #fedora-qa tends to drown into  miriad messages about
>>> another round of running anaconda in  VMWare (absolutely nothing against
>>> their wonderful effort which  I think contributed mightily to the success of
>>> Fedora 10). If  I want to participate in the bug zappers discussion I have
>>> no  choice than to follow all these discussions on #fedora-qa.    Given that
>>> I have other things to do than that (e.g., actually  triage bugs ;-)), I
>>> usually just hope that if anybody wants me  I will get PM from him, and
>>> ignore that channel as whole. I am  afraid, that I am not the only one.
>>>
>>>  I think, that even if there were just three of us in the  channel (and I
>>> hope we could do better), it would seem to me to  be more profitable than
>>> the current set up.
>>>
>>> Comments?
>>>
>>> Matěj
>>>

>> Why dont you then take it all the way and apply for a seperated -triage
>> mailing list as well?
>>
>> JB
>>

> At least in my opinion people involved in triage should be aware of
> what goes on in QA.  Of the fedora mailing list fedora-test-list is
> relatively low traffic.
> As for another IRC, I understand what Matěj is saying, but even still
> I would not be likely to look at the channel unless pinged.
>
> --Brennan Ashton

While by no means a perfect solution, a separate triage channel is a
good idea. I don't log on to #fedora-qa anymore for the reasons stated
by Matej. I know I miss things, however the reward doesn't justify the
effort.

The current communication channel is not adequate for the triage team's
needs. The issue is valid, even if there isn't agreement on a solution.
Having this conversation in the crowd that is the mailing list proves
this point.

We are on the triage team, yet this is the first we've spoken to each
other that I know of. Hard to build a team let alone a strong team like
that.

A separate triage mailing list isn't necessary, and would be of limited
value at best.

A separate IRC channel has the potential for better communication and
teamwork within the triage team.

Triagers do need to keep up with QA, I believe we need a separate
channel as well, and if ping works for you it works for me.

Edward (TK009)