encrypted f10 install - changed after using livecd - a question?

Charlie Brej fedora-test-list at brej.org
Sat Jan 10 20:43:58 UTC 2009

Mike wrote:
> Charlie Brej <fedora-test-list <at> brej.org> writes:
>
>> Does it ask you multiple times every time you boot?
> Yes
>
>> Did you press Esc to see the
>> boot messages before or during the password dialogue?
>> Did it say you were giving a password for for each partition by name?
>
> First time round it when it asked for the passphrase it says
>
> Command successful key slot 0 unlocked....
>
> Then it immediately says:
>  Command failed: No key available with this passphrase
>
> Then it does the same failure again two more times - but then continues to boot.
>
> So I presume that it unlocks the / and /opt partitions but maybe the swap
> partition was messed up by using the livecd?  So now it is a question of
> repairing the swap partition to return the to the way it was?
>
> If so what needs to be done?

So what I think is happening is that you type in the correct password the first
time and it unlocks some of the partitions. It then asks for the password for
another partition which is different. Then you retype the same password three
times and then it reaches its retry limit and the boot continues. (total 4
password entries)

Can you poke around and see if all the partitions were decrypted. Are there any
weird encrypted partitions on the disk which are not mounted? Is your swap missing?