Enabling a wifi LED

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Jan 15 00:39:57 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 12:46:29PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Scott Robbins (scottro at nyc.rr.com) said:
> > > There's likely another mechanism to enable it on ath5k, but I don't know
> > > what it is.
> >
> > I'm sure.  I've also looked but haven't found anything.  At one point, I
> > installed a vanilla 2.6.27 kernel and enabled everything with LED in its
> > name, but still had no luck.  That doesn't mean it's not there, just
> > that I didn't know where to look.
>
> Is there a led device in /sys/class/leds associated with the wireless
> card? (I have neither a AAO, nor a ath5k device, but if there was something
> upstream-ish, that would be where to look)

No, the directory was empty. It does turn out that the LED is connected
with the MadWifi module. Upon blacklisting ath5k and install MadWifi, I
saw that I suddenly had a bunch of sysctl variables for it.  :)

Thanks to all, I'd never imagined that it was associated with MadWifi
and had always figured it was the 2.6.26 vs. 2.6.27 kernel--the reason
being that since the 2.6.27 had ath5k, I'd never used MadWifi with it.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: Okay, that was too close for comfort. Not that slaying is
ever comfy, but... you know what I mean.