java redisplay problem on intel driver

Per Bothner per at bothner.com
Sun Jan 25 16:28:35 UTC 2009

Per Bothner wrote:
> There is a bad redisplay problem for large (greater than around 1000
> lines) text windows using a TextArea (or a Swing JTextPane).
> I have the feeling it is specific to the Intel driver.

The problem persists in Rawhide.

It seems to be a known problem in the EXA driver:
http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=6776352

Switching to the XAA driver (using Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"
in xorg.conf), fixes the text redisplay problem, but causes worse
problems, making the desktop unusable (at least on F10).

I did find a workable workaround from the above bug report:
Start up java with the -Dsun.java2d.pmoffscreen=false flag.
This makes NetBeans much less annoying!

Hopefully Intel will fix the driver soon - it would be nice
to get a less buggy driver for F11.
--
	--Per Bothner