Rawhide: Is Samba o.k in rawhide??

Jerry Amundson jamundso at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 03:08:30 UTC 2009

On 1/30/09, Antonio M <antonio.montagnani at gmail.com> wrote:
> Samba was working on F10, then I switched to rawhide, and:

Define "switched" - upgrade? install?

> 1) [antonio at Casa ~]$ smbclient -L Casa
> Enter antonio's password:
> Anonymous login successful

If you entered a password, it didn't work.

> Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.2.5-0.23.fc11]
>
> 	Sharename       Type      Comment
> 	---------       ----      -------
> 	homes           Disk      Home Directories
> 	Radioamatori    Disk      Public Stuff
> 	Documentiidentita Disk      Documenti identita
> 	Musica          Disk      Samsung Laser
> 	IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba Server Version
> 3.2.5-0.23.fc11)
> 	ML-1610         Printer   Samsung ML-1610
> 	Cups-PDF        Printer   Cups-PDF
> Anonymous login successful
> Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.2.5-0.23.fc11]
>
> 	Server               Comment
> 	---------            -------
> 	CASA                 Samba Server Version 3.2.5-0.23.fc11
>
> 	Workgroup            Master
> 	---------            -------
> 	WORKGROUP            CASA
>
> 2) I assume that at least from CASA I should connect to the shares,
> but I can see the shares in Network window , but when I try to connect
> to one of them I get the message that Mount of shares failed!!!

You can see them for the same reason they were listed above. The
"browse" is different than the mount... (wow, the innuendo with that
statement.)

> 3) In the network window I see both CASA and Casa but I have no Casa
> on my network!!! and I don't see shares from any other box on my
> network.
> smbclient -L AcerF10
> Connection to AcerF10 failed (Error NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME)

That looks like name resolution (note I'm guessing that by the bad
network name, in BIG CAPITAL letters, above). Does "ping acerf10"
work?

> What else should I look at???

/var/log/samba

> Funny that printing is fine (and the printer is connected to F11 box)

Funny how? Do you know your printing is using Samba directly?
Based on what you missed above, no it's not funny, and probably not
even related to Samba.

> I assume that something is broken in gvfs-samba?? Am I correct??

No, based on the facts so far, you can't assume gvfs-samba is broken.

jerry