Two methods to make installable f11 usbkey - only one works!

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 07:21:20 UTC 2009

I have an interesting phenomenon for install (failure) off a usbkey for F11
that I would like to understand.

I used the method at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_and_use_Live_USB#How_to_Make_a_bootable_USB_Drive_to_Install_Fedora_11_instead_of_using_a_physical_DVD
(which I wrote), to try and install F11 on a Samsung NC10 netbook.  The
livecd-iso-to-disk command was executed on a machine running up to date F11
to create the bootable key. The NC10 would not boot at all off the key, and
just gave a single cursor and nothing else. The boot flag was indeed set.

I then used unetbootin to install the boot.iso file onto the same key, and
the NC10 immediately booted to the install just fine.

I found this weird and although I have managed to do the install now I
wondered if there was a rational explanation why the Fedora method failed
but the unetbootin method worked in this case? Has anyone else experienced
this?