Two methods to make installable f11 usbkey - only one works!

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Fri Jul 10 10:48:15 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 12:21:20AM -0700, Mike Cloaked wrote:

> I have an interesting phenomenon for install (failure) off a usbkey for F11
> that I would like to understand.
>
> I used the method at
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_and_use_Live_USB#How_to_Make_a_bootable_USB_Drive_to_Install_Fedora_11_instead_of_using_a_physical_DVD
> (which I wrote), to try and install F11 on a Samsung NC10 netbook.  The
> livecd-iso-to-disk command was executed on a machine running up to date F11
> to create the bootable key.

I've run into trouble with that method--it seems as if it might be
dated, though I haven't really tested it enough to have an intelligent
opinion, because...

> I then used unetbootin to install the boot.iso file onto the same key, and
> the NC10 immediately booted to the install just fine.

Like you, I found that unetbootin is an easier method if one has
a GUI running, and seems to have a higher success rate.  I'm sure there
are logical reasons, and the downside is that it requires X to be
running.  (Also, at least in the earlier versions, one had to do a few
little tricks to get it working on a Fedora system, though they were
trivial.)

> I found this weird and although I have managed to do the install now I
> wondered if there was a rational explanation why the Fedora method failed
> but the unetbootin method worked in this case? Has anyone else experienced
> this?

See above.  :)  I've just found it to be a great time saver.  I think
Fedora has a similar GUI tool as well, which I haven't used in awhile.
This is just one of those cases where I found something that worked
without much effort and I haven't bothered to look very hard at
alternatives.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Angel: This isn't some fairy tale. When I kiss you... you don't
wake up from a deep sleep and live happily ever after.
Buffy: No... when you kiss me, I wanna die.