Updated Schedule for F12

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Fri Jul 10 16:42:02 UTC 2009

> > Thinking about it
> > a little more I'm still not clear on our methodology.  We need a
> few
> > specific dates that fit to get the time frame correct:
> >
> > 1) Date blocker list must be clear or slip the release
>
> That's not a single date.

Sure, we have 2 in the schedule already.

      * 2009-10-19 - Create Test Compose (TC)
      * 2009-10-26 - Compose RC

We miss either of those 2 dates ... it's time to do everyone a favor and
start the exception process (aka slip).  We can wait until the point of
no return when we sync to mirrors, but I think that does all those who
plan to these dates a disservice.

There will be bugs surfacing, there always are ... it's software.
However, we increased our chances this time by adding more bug days to
ensure the bugs meet the established criteria and folks in QA have been
improving documentation on how to characterize bugs (priority/severity
and hopefully more release criteria soon).

> > 2) Date build RC (same day or day after #1)
> > 3) <input from QA on how many days to test the RC w/ allowance for
> > finding problems in RC>
> >
> > Note that #3 must be done by Thursday 2009-10-29 to start staging
> the
> > content to the mirrors for GA on 2009-11-03.
>
> So, that implies that date #1 is 10-29, as that's when we'll know
> if we need to slip the release. We can make an earlier judgement
> of slip based on the state of the blocker list. If there are 20
> blockers on 10/20, we'd slip earlier. If there is 1, we wouldn't
> judge on a slip until later.

Woah, 10-29 (Start Stage & Sync RC to Mirrors) ... that's a bit late to
make a decision to slip or not.  I would say that's the *last* possible
date we could slip before the "big green button" has been pressed.  See
my comments above.

Thanks,
James