Preupgrade Hacking

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 13:06:56 UTC 2009

seth vidal-3 wrote:

> I think you'll find it a fairly difficult test. PReupgrade relies on yum
> pretty heavily. It'll be a lot of work to port it to smart.

I hope that what I am about to ask is not going to be regarded as hijacking,
but is there any recorded data on the amount of work needed to pre-upgrade
versus a clean install?

I always do a clean install and then configure using previous system configs
adapted to the new system, bringing back the required parts of user and
system files etc as needed.

If you do a pre-upgrade presumably there is still a certain amount of work
to do to get the system into working order under the new system? But is it
significantly less than the work needed doing a clean install?

For the F10 to F11 transition if you want the new files system(s) to be ext4
then is it even possible to do it (properly) with pre-upgrade?  In my case
prior to F11 I did not have a separate /boot partition - so my way to make
the transition has been to modify the existing partitions to create an ext3
/boot, and then to save all user data in /opt and /home and then install
allowing anaconda to reformat as ext4 partitions for root and /opt /home etc
- and then copy file for /opt and /home back from backup before configuring
the new system.

Is pre-upgrade foolproof?  What do the experts say about comparing
pre-upgrade vs clean install?

I keep getting popups on my F10 systems saying I can install pre-upgrade but
I would prefer to just do a clean install as above and configure the new
system from scratch.

Opinions?