Preupgrade Hacking

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jul 16 16:26:48 UTC 2009

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009, Mike Cloaked wrote:

> seth vidal-3 wrote:

why am I seth vidal-3? I'm fairly certain I'm seth vidal-1 :)

> I hope that what I am about to ask is not going to be regarded as hijacking,
> but is there any recorded data on the amount of work needed to pre-upgrade
> versus a clean install?

No.

> I always do a clean install and then configure using previous system configs
> adapted to the new system, bringing back the required parts of user and
> system files etc as needed.
Great. That's a fine way to get your system to the new version of fedora.

> If you do a pre-upgrade presumably there is still a certain amount of work
> to do to get the system into working order under the new system? But is it
> significantly less than the work needed doing a clean install?

Sure there's some work - for some folks I'm sure it is less to preupgrade
b/c they make rather largish changes to /etc.

> For the F10 to F11 transition if you want the new files system(s) to be ext4
> then is it even possible to do it (properly) with pre-upgrade?  In my case
> prior to F11 I did not have a separate /boot partition - so my way to make
> the transition has been to modify the existing partitions to create an ext3
> /boot, and then to save all user data in /opt and /home and then install
> allowing anaconda to reformat as ext4 partitions for root and /opt /home etc
> - and then copy file for /opt and /home back from backup before configuring
> the new system.

Yep.

> Is pre-upgrade foolproof?  What do the experts say about comparing
> pre-upgrade vs clean install?

Is there any foolproof software?

> I keep getting popups on my F10 systems saying I can install pre-upgrade but
> I would prefer to just do a clean install as above and configure the new
> system from scratch.

If you prefer it and are happy with it - then stick with it.

TIMTOWTDI

-sv