Inconsistent Internet access

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Fri Jul 17 17:10:52 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 01:04:01PM -0400, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 04:54:09PM +0200, spoffley wrote:
> > As stated by Murphy, as soon as I post I find out a bit more, it looks like the common denominator could be CURL.  I remember a CURL update being applied and it was around that time I got inconsistent Internet results !
> >

> Judging from my experience today (though this was with F11, actually),
> curl doesn't seem to be the culprit.  I haven't had a curl update in
> quite awhile.  Again, my issue could have been casued by adding some 586
> stuff, including nss-mdns.

Ok, a little more playing around indicates that what happened to me was
install nss-mdns i586 which happened when I installed chrome.

Apparently this is what makes the change to /etc/nsswitch.conf  IF I
also install nss-mdns.x86_64, everything is fine.  If I remove it, and
leave the mdns line in /etc/nsswitch.conf most things (ssh, ftp,
w3m--though not GUI browsers) break.  If I comment out the mdns line in
nsswitch.conf, all is well again.  If I leave in the line and reinstall
nss-mdns.x86_64 everything is fine.

So, my guess is, that at least for me, if you don't already have
nss-mdns for 64 bit on a 64 bit system, then install something that
pulls in the i586 version, like I did with chrome, you will have trouble
due to that line in nsswitch.conf

This is just a guess though, and I don't have time, at least for the
next few days, to really follow it up.  If anyone feels like trying, I
suspect that's how to duplicate the error.  (If you do it, and it breaks
yum, commenting out the mdns line in nsswitch.conf should get yum
working again.)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

 Angel: Donuts?
Wesley: Developed a sweet fang, have you?