Inconsistent Internet access

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Fri Jul 17 17:16:02 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-17 at 13:10 -0400, Scott Robbins wrote:

> Ok, a little more playing around indicates that what happened to me was
> install nss-mdns i586 which happened when I installed chrome.
>
> Apparently this is what makes the change to /etc/nsswitch.conf  IF I
> also install nss-mdns.x86_64, everything is fine.  If I remove it, and
> leave the mdns line in /etc/nsswitch.conf most things (ssh, ftp,
> w3m--though not GUI browsers) break.  If I comment out the mdns line in
> nsswitch.conf, all is well again.  If I leave in the line and reinstall
> nss-mdns.x86_64 everything is fine.
>
> So, my guess is, that at least for me, if you don't already have
> nss-mdns for 64 bit on a 64 bit system, then install something that
> pulls in the i586 version, like I did with chrome, you will have trouble
> due to that line in nsswitch.conf

wine (which is also 32-bit only) does the same thing:
[wwoods at metroid ~]$ rpm -q --requires wine-core | grep mdns
nss-mdns(x86-32)

So look out for that if you've got wine or chromium installed on an
x86_64 system. It was mentioned on rawhidewatch last week:
http://rawhidewatch.wordpress.com/2009/07/09/

Hope that helps.

-w