Triage for Rawhide install needed?

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Tue Jul 21 14:55:39 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-07-21 at 13:48 +0300, Aioanei Rares wrote:
> On 07/21/2009 01:45 PM, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
> > For the last several days, Rawhide installs failed when calling
> > the network manager to initialize the ethernet port.  The
> > same thing happens wiht three different motherboards.  This
> > suggests the problem is with network manager instead of a
> > specific ethernet driver.
> >
> > Previous to this latest breakage, other parts of the install
> > failed with an assortment of unhandled exceptions.
> >
> > The dodge of installing with a fc11 disk now fails with
> > file conflicts.
> >
> > Perhaps now is the time to "stick to the knitting" and
> > get Rawhide installable before Fedora becomes an unhandled
> > exception.
> >
> We should post a link to iso files for testing rawhide as soon as
> humanly possible, so we can get rid of those shopstoppers. My 2 cents.

There is an upcoming checkpoint scheduled [1] for the creation of ISO
images for testing on Wed July 29, 2009.  Liam Li plans kick the tires
with a more organized collaborative testing at that time (stay tuned).

However, until then you still have many ways to test rawhide installs
[2], including:
      * Download and install from rawhide boot.iso
      * Download and install using rawhide PXE images
      * Create a rawhide live image [3] (or use a recent test day image
        [4])

For any issues you encounter, I can advise that you
     1. set an appropriate defect severity (see
        http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/BugStatusWorkFlow#Severity)
     2. if not high severity, but you feel this should be considered for
        resolution in F-12-Alpha ... mark the defect as blocking
        bug#F12Alpha.

Happy testing!

Thanks,
James