koji kernel: "barrier-based sync failed"

yarkot no-reply-gw at fcp.surfsite.org
Sat Jul 25 09:26:25 UTC 2009

I don't know if this will help -  The "barrier based sync failed on dm-0:8"  is I think a symptom of something else.

Today, I experienced the same, and "solved" it:

Everything was running fine w/ kernels:
2.6.29.4-167.fc11.x86_64
2.6.29.5-191.fc11.x86_64

Today, updates included a new kernel:
2.6.29.6-213.fc11.x86_64

On reboot, the JBD message came; I tried the previous kernel and boot was fine.

I looked through the yum logs, saw a kernel update had happened.

If you have a non-standard video driver in your system install (before you tried this kernel) you may be experiencing the same symptom I did.

Your choices are to restore the default video driver in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, or re-install the optional video driver.

I use NVIDIA's graphics driver (dual-headed).   For the 64 bit kernel (at least), with each Fedora Kernel update I have to "re-install" (well, probably just re-compile the kernel interface to the nvidia driver, but I let it do all it's default things anyway).

To accomplish this, I change to init 3, run the nvidea driver installer, and reboot.  If you can't boot, you can bootsrap from a live CD, and change your /etc/inittab (to init 3), and then boot from the kernel of interst.  Since this is a bit of a pain, I've also changed /boot/grub/grub.conf (commenting out hiddenmenu).

You can see more comments about this on 2linices.blogspot.com

Regards,
Yarko

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=359851&topic_id=70794&forum=12#forumpost359851
If you think, this is spam, please report this to webmaster at fcp.surfsite.org and/or blame yarkot1 at gmail.com.