Fedoras' poor performance in test

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Tue Jul 28 11:07:31 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 11:12:31AM +0100, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On 28/07/09 10:49, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>> On 07/28/2009 08:13 AM, Adam Pribyl wrote:
>> <snip>
>> Removed mentioning of phoronix and their extraordinaire benchmarking
>> techniques...
>> </snip>
>
> The fact that they are out there, and that people will read them.
> Should be enough to warrant some attention.
> Let's not play Ostrich.

Have to agree with that one.  Ignoring it won't make it go away and, to
the general public, whoever that may be, makes Fedora look foolish,
IMHO, the equivalent of putting fingers in ears and going "Lalala I
can't hear you."   :)

However, as Rawhide is alpha/beta--I would think that it would be full
of debugging code that would slow it down, making it a poor choice for
comparision testing.

For example, in FreeBSD's CURRENT, their UPDATING section always
explains that it's got a great deal of debugging code and that if one
wants to use it, they are advised to recompile the kernel, removing the
debuggging options.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Xander: What do you feel?
Anya: Upset, afraid of being without you, and a little hungry.
Xander: I meant about the house.
Anya: Oh. Still haunted.