Fedoras' poor performance in test

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Thu Jul 30 18:21:27 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 12:14:02PM +0200, Adam Pribyl wrote:

 > > Rawhide has lots of debugging turned on in various places so it is not
 > > suitable for benchmarking until this is removed. Target beta or the final
 > > release.
 >
 > Even thou I never looked for a list of what's enabled in rawhide, I'd be
 > surprised if other distros do not have something similar. They may be in
 > different development stage, right (e.g. already beta).

To the best of my knowledge, none of the other popular distros enable
the level of debugging we do in the Fedora kernel.  There's a slightly dated
list detailing the extent of what we enable at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelDebugStrategy

We're also the only distro that leaves certain debug options enabled post-release.

You can see this by noting the lack of bug reports mentioning 'lockdep'
'slab debug' or other debug options on other distros bug trackers.

	Dave