Fedoras' poor performance in test

David Malcolm dmalcolm at redhat.com
Thu Jul 30 18:33:38 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-30 at 14:21 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 12:14:02PM +0200, Adam Pribyl wrote:
>
>  > > Rawhide has lots of debugging turned on in various places so it is not
>  > > suitable for benchmarking until this is removed. Target beta or the final
>  > > release.
>  >
>  > Even thou I never looked for a list of what's enabled in rawhide, I'd be
>  > surprised if other distros do not have something similar. They may be in
>  > different development stage, right (e.g. already beta).
>
> To the best of my knowledge, none of the other popular distros enable
> the level of debugging we do in the Fedora kernel.  There's a slightly dated
> list detailing the extent of what we enable at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelDebugStrategy
>
> We're also the only distro that leaves certain debug options enabled post-release.
>
> You can see this by noting the lack of bug reports mentioning 'lockdep'
> 'slab debug' or other debug options on other distros bug trackers.

Is there some way we can autogenerate some message on the lines of:

"This kernel has the following debugging settings enabled:
   foo bar baz
Don't use it for performance testing (or be aware that it will suck if
you do)"

or some similar message, perhaps even displaying it on logon/motd, or
something similar?

Are these debug options for the running kernel queryable e.g.
via /proc ?

For that matter, do we already have a "this is a pre-release version of
Fedora; rawhide will eat your brains" message?

Thoughts?

Dave