Fedoras' poor performance in test

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Jul 30 19:04:43 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 02:21:27PM -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 12:14:02PM +0200, Adam Pribyl wrote:
>
>  > > Rawhide has lots of debugging turned on in various places so it is not
>  > > suitable for benchmarking until this is removed. Target beta or the final
>  > > release.
>  >

> To the best of my knowledge, none of the other popular distros enable
> the level of debugging we do in the Fedora kernel.  There's a slightly dated
> list detailing the extent of what we enable at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelDebugStrategy

For what it's worth, in the comments, many people calmly (of course,
there were a few angry ones) about this--that Fedora, unlike the others
tested, has more debugging code in Rawhide.

The best thing to do--for someone who had the time and inclination,
would be to get the phoronix test suite and run it using F11 or perhaps
a debugged F12 if they have the ability to redo it, and run it against
either of the other two. (I'd go for Ubuntu, since it's on one CD.)

However, I think it's the proverbial tempest in a teapot--I haven't
seeen any mention of it on the forums.  It's probably one of those
things that excites people for a day, but is unlikely to turn the distro
hoppers away from trying F12 when it comes out.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6