2009-07-01 - Fedora QA meeting agenda

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Wed Jul 1 13:55:00 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-07-01 at 09:18 -0400, James Laska wrote:
>         5. Improve Bug Reporting proposal
>
> (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Johannbg/QA/Improve_reporting) -
> update from viking_ice

Just quoting some snippets from the "Lack of needed information"
section:

  "the triager has no better clue what to include in the report"

  "The problem is that the maintainer(s) them self have failed to
   provide this information"

  "Contact FESCO and ask them to set this rule and enforce it."

  "New components will not be let into Fedora without this information"

  "To handle the existing components in Fedora I propose that we file a
   report ... If they do not respond ... the component in question will
   enter the removal phase"

I don't think having FESCo approve and enforce rules for every aspect of
package maintenance is a healthy or scalable way for us to encourage
maintainers to do a better job.

Suggesting that a package should be removed from Fedora because the
package maintainer hasn't filled out some details in a wiki for bug
reporters is fairly absurd.

A better way to approach this would be for triagers to start a wiki page
for the component with the kind of questions the maintainer typically
requests, show the maintainer how useful that page is in getting good
bug reports and encourage the maintainer to help improve the wiki page
further.

Please try to aim for more positive and collaborative solutions.

Cheers,
Mark.

(On a related note, I haven't had much feedback on:

  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Reporting_virtualization_bugs

 suggestions on how to improve it are most welcome)