Fit and Finish test days (was Re: 2009-07-01 - Fedora QA meeting recap)

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Thu Jul 2 13:15:43 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-02 at 12:44 +0100, Adam Williamson wrote:

> 1. To echo southern_gentleman, a live CD is key: you get far more people
> showing up if you provide a live CD. See the F11 cycle test day pages
> for examples on how to handle it (basically you just say 'up to date
> Rawhide OR the live CD image' in the requirements section, and there's
> another bit where you provide a link to download the live CD). Let me or
> James know if you have any trouble generating or providing a live CD.

Thanks for the offer. As things currently stand, it looks like
a) livecd building doesn't work reliable (failed for me, but worked for
Adam and Fedora Unity also has rawhide spins)
b) the isos are too large (see my mail from last night)
c) X doesn't work (at least in qemu)

> 2. The page name is a bit sub-optimal. The wiki guys are trying very
> hard to stop people using nested names, at least for new pages:
> Names/Like/This don't make any sense in mediawiki, because the / doesn't
> _mean_ anything, it's not - as far as mediawiki is concerned - actually
> a separator, it's just a character. So we're supposed to be using 'flat'
> names for all new Wiki stuff, and categorizing pages using, well,
> categories. :) Also, we have a special Test_Day: space, which lets the
> page be modified without a FAS account (this is important as it allows
> people to leave feedback without signing the FAS). Also, it doesn't
> really follow the system used by previous Test Day pages. I'd suggest:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2009-07-07_fitandfinish_display_configuration
>
> or something similar to that.

Sure, feel free to move it there.

> 3. The tests in the 'How to test' section should be presented as proper
> test cases using the Wiki test day template, as was done for F11 cycle
> test days. Again, see any recent F11 test day page to see how this is
> done, and yell if you need help; I'm happy to work on turning these
> skeletons into full test cases if you like, just yell. :) Writing them
> up properly as  test cases makes it easier for people to test (and
> reduces confusion and ambiguity during testing), and also makes it more
> likely we can re-use the tests in future (as we'll be designing future
> systems and tools to work with test cases written in the current Wiki
> template-based form).

I'm a little torn on this one. Certainly, adding details is good, in
general, and it certainly helps for reproducing problems if things are
written down step-by-step. But on the other hand, we hope to find issues
that get in the way of people using their system in the way _they_ want
to use it for getting concrete things done, not things that don't work
as they try to follow a recipe for testing something... So I think we'll
have to experiment a little bit with finding the right balance here.
I'll have a go at adding a more detailed writeup for some of the display
configuration use cases.

> 4. There's a few superficial things - the intro could specify that this
> is a Fit and Finish track test day, there's no space before ? at the end
> of a sentence in English, stuff like that - but I'll just fix those
> myself, I think.

Yeah, if you care about punctuation, please help yourself. I usually
leave my Strunk at home when I go into the wiki...

Matthias